From the Marketplace Datebook, here’s an extended look at what’s coming up at the top of March:
- Tomorrow is a great day to go barhopping if you're in Reykjavik. Iceland celebrates Beer Day, an annual event since 1989 when a 74-year long prohibition of beer was lifted.
- Nebraska, where Kool-Aid was invented, became the 37th state on March 1, 1867.
- The Hollywood red carpet becomes the center of attention on Oscar Sunday.
- We kick off the work-week with January personal income and spending data from the Commerce Department.
- Inventor Alexander Graham Bell was born on March 3, 1847. He patented the telephone. It’s that device you’re texting on.
- Tuesday is National Grammar Day. Other celebrations include Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Tuesday. The day to live it up before the beginning of Lent.
- On Wednesday, Lent begins.
- Former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan turns 88 on Thursday.
- And on Friday the Labor Department releases its jobs report for February.
- I hate to be the one to break it to you. March is National Caffeine Awareness Month.
You can live the Datebook lifestyle at marketplace.org/Datebook.