For some culture watchers it feels like there’s a discernible lack of pre-Oscar buzz surrounding this year’s Academy Awards ceremony. Is it possible that the Sochi Olympics have us distracted? Or that, with the one-two (-three?) punch of the Super Bowl, the Golden Globes and the Grammy Awards we’ve hit ‘peak TV?’
As we approach the Academy Awards, we’ve assembled a list of how the most-nominated films have done at the domestic box office:
- American Hustle | 10 Academy Award nominations | $142 million at the domestic box office
- Gravity| 10 nominations | $268 million
- 12 Years a Slave | 9 nominations | $48 million
- Nebraska | 6 nominations | $16 million
- Dallas Buyers Club | 6 nominations | $24 million
- Captain Phillips | 6 nominations | $106 million
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.