A taste of Sioux Falls
In this American Futures project,we’re trying to give you a taste of how the American economy really works. And a taste is definitely what I got in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Here’s what my Sioux Falls diet (if you wanna call it that) looked like:
- Two egg breakfast sandwiches via Grand Prairie Foods (they come in packs of two).
- Bhutanese dumplings shared with me by the refugee family that made them.
- A sea salt caramel macaron from C.H. Patisserie, the fancy new dessert shop downtown.
- Cappuccino at Coffea in downtown Sioux Falls (one block down from C.H. Patisserie, in fact). It was opening day for the cafe and yes, there was a line.
- All those foods — they tell you a lot about Sioux Falls. Where’s it’s been and where it’s going. And I’ll tell you what — it’s pretty tasty too.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.