Whether you’re tall, short, like to dress up in Duck tape for prom, can call a duck, or are a Van Valkenburg descendant — there is a scholarship for you.
And even if you’re none of those things, trust us, there’s probably someting you’re eligible for. Take twerking, for example. One of the members of the hip hop group Three 6 Mafia made headlines recently when he offered a $50,000 scholarship to the best female college student twerker.
Since then, he’s amended the scholarship’s criteria. Twerking’s optional. You just have to submit a video discussing why you deserve the scholarship.
Here are 25 other scholarships that don’t necessarily require high SAT scores:
1. Loyola University of Chicago Zolp Scholarship – Be Catholic with the last name Zolp
Any student who attends Loyola University Chicago who is Catholic and has the last name Zolp is eligible. Scholarship amounts will vary depending upon fund availability and the number of eligible recipients.
2. Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship – Be a left-handed student
A scholarship reserved for sophomores, juniors, or seniors attending Juniata College. Open to any student who demonstrates financial need as well as academic success. Oh, and the student needs to be left-handed.
3. Stuck at prom – Best outfit made of Duck tape for prom
Duck brand holds an annual contest to see who can make the best prom outfit … from Duck tape. Winners receive a $5,000 scholarship and $5,000 for their school.
4. Tall Clubs International – Be tall
If you’re under 21 and about to start college in the fall and meet TCI heigh requirement minimums — 5’10” for women and 6’2″ for men — you can win a scholarship for up to $1,000.
5. Lambert and Annetje Van Valckernburg Memorial Scholarship – Be a Van Valkenburg descendant
Eligible applicants could receive a scholarship of $1,000 if they are descendants, whether by birth or legal adoption, of Lambert and Annetje Van Valkenburg, who came to New Amsterdam from the Netherlands in 1643, and their spouses; and descendants of others of the surname Van Valkenburg, and their spouses. Scholarship may be closed.
6. Society of Vacuum Coaters Foundation Scholarship Fund – Have an interest in Vacuum Coating Technology
If you have an interest in furthering your education in a course of study related to vacuum coating technology, you might be eligible for a scholarship.
7. Bucknell University Gertrude J. Deppen Scholarship Fund – Be un-intoxicated
If funds are available, this scholarship is available for graduates of Mount Carmel Public High School, who are not habitual users of tobacco, intoxicating liquor, and narcotics, and who do not participate in strenuous athletic contests.
8. Chick and Sophie Major Memorial Duck Calling Contest – Call a duck
High school seniors may compete for college scholarships totaling $4,250. All you have to do is call ducks.
9. Klingon Language Institute’s Memorial Scholarship – Be knowledgeable about constructed languages
The purpose of this scholarship is to recognize and encourage scholarship in fields of language study. Familiarity with Klingon — which was invented for use in some of the Star Trek movies — or other constructed languages is not required, however creative and innovative applicants are preferred.
10. Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation – Know common things
Take a quiz, show your common knowledge, win scholarships. There are no essays, applications, or GPA requirements
11. Kerope Zildjian Scholarship – Be musically inclined
This scholarship recognizes an outstanding student percussionist, who is currently enrolled in an undergraduate music program. In addition to a trip to the Zildjian factory in Norwell, Mass., to select complimentary cymbals, the winner will receive a tuition award of $5,000. Applications must send an audio recording playing a complex snare or four-mallet marimba solo.
12. American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship Program – Be knowledgeable about fire sprinklers
High school seniors have a chance to win 1 of 10 $2,000 scholarships. All you have to do is take a 10-question multiple choice test about an essay titled “Fire Spinkler Essay.” The test is open-book and you may print the essay beforehand for reference during testing. For each question answered correctly, students will receive one entry into a drawing for 1 of 10 $2,000 scholarships.
13. National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance HAES Scholarship – Utilize Health at Every Size tenants
Applicant must be an undergraduate or graduate student from an accredited institution who utilizes Health at Every Size (HAES) tenants in their studies and research. Up to $1,000 awarded.
14. Billy Barty Foundation – Be short
Applicant must be diagnosed with some form of dwarfism to receive a minimum award of $1,000.
15. American Association of Candy Technologists John Kitt Memorial Scholarship – Have an interest in confectionary technology
College sophomores, juniors or seniors who have a demonstrated interest in confectionary technology can receive a scholarship award of $5,000.
16. Michigan Llama Association Kathy Larson and Laurel Zechlinski Memorial Scholarships – Be a member or child of llama organization
If you’re a member or child of a member of the Michigan Llama Association and hold a minimum GPA of 2.7 you could be eligible for one of two $1,000 scholarships.
17. Eileen J. Garrett Scholarship – Have an interest in parapsychology
A scholarship of $3,000 to assist a student who wishes to puruse academic study of the science of parapsychology. Applicants must demonstrate a previous interest in parapsychology by including a sample of writings on the subject with the application form.
18. Jif’s Most creative sandwich contest – Create an interesting sandwich
Let your little kitchen helper create his or her own sandwich recipe using Jif products for a chance to win a $25,000 college fund.
19. John Gatling Grant Program – Have the last name Gatlin or Gatling
Students at North Carolina State Univeristy who were born with the surname Gatlin or Gatling are eligible for $9,000 or $18,000 grant.
20. Zombie apocalypse essay – Write an essay about escaping zombies
ScholarshipExperts.com offers a $1,500 scholarship for writing an essay about escaping zombies. Just be over 13. The site also has several other essay writing scholarships — with prompts like write an essay describing what flavor ice cream you would be and why, and one prompting writers to make the review committee laugh.
21. Willy the Plumber Scholarship – Be the child of an inmate
For children of people doing a lot of time and/or habitually doing time, especially prison time. Eligible students can get about $1,000 attending a college or university and $500 for students attending a technical school.
22. Make it with Wool competition – Use wool
To promote the beauty and versatility of wool, eligible preteens, juniors, seniors, and adults can get up to $2,000 by making something with wool and modeling it in a photo.
23. CollegeHumor’s Average Student Scholarship contest – Be an average student
If you’re a normal achiever you can receive $5,000.
24. Lake Erie College Twins Scholarship – Be a twin
This full tuition scholarship is awarded 50/50 if both twins are enrolled full-time at Lake Erie College. In essence, both twins can attend Lake Erie College for the tuition cost of only one.
25. University of North Carolina at Greensboro Alice Mcarver Ratchford Scholarship
Awarded on the basis of financial need to female, undergraduate students. You just have to meet these critera: must live on-campus, must not possess an automobile, must be single, and may not have any other scholarships in conjunction with the Ratchford Scholarship.
If you’re a member of your local public radio station, we thank you — because your support helps those stations keep programs like Marketplace on the air. But for Marketplace to continue to grow, we need additional investment from those who care most about what we do: superfans like you.
Your donation — as little as $5 — helps us create more content that matters to you and your community, and to reach more people where they are – whether that’s radio, podcasts or online.
When you contribute directly to Marketplace, you become a partner in that mission: someone who understands that when we all get smarter, everybody wins.