ICYMI: An 11-year-old whistleblower, odd Netflix categories and other stories you shouldn’t miss
Every week, one Marketplace staff member offers their favorite stories from the past week. Here’s a small selection of our recent finest journalistic efforts:
- David Gura’s highly entertaining interview about financier and all-round crook, Marc Rich, complete with a reference to pugilist gerbils.
- Stacey Vanek Smith’s sound-rich piece on the hi-top fade was a great listen — and don’t forget to check out her slideshow here.
- David Brancaccio’s quick note on the digital video of “Portlandia” and the FBI.
- Jeff Tyler did a great two-part series on Mexican factories often offering better benefits than American factories.
- Chau Tu’s wrap of the weirdest Netflix recommendation categories.
- Mark Garrison’s piece on pod hotels with a video of the Russian hotel where reportedly Snowden stayed.
- David Brancaccio’s interview with an 11-year-old whistleblower, clearly proud of his undercover investigative skills.
- And Krissy Clark’s piece on Hollywood’s portrayal of the middle class.
We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.
Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.
In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.
Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.