Daft Punk breaks Spotify record and 2013 sounds a lot like 1978
Share Now on:
New data show that the Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” is now the most streamed song on Spotify. Spotify is a music platform that lets you stream music from your desktop, cellphone or other Internet-connected device.
But 30 years before Spotify, 22 years before iTunes, 4 years before even before the first compact discs went on sale, “Le Freak” by Chic found its way to the top of the Billboard charts. The year was 1978. The similarity of the two songs prove what’s old is new again — or technology changes, but not always the tune.
Let’s Do the Numbers: Pop Music Then and Now Edition
Billboard magazine’s Hot 100: December 23, 1978
1. “Le Freak” by Chic
2. “Too Much Heaven” by Bee Gees
3. “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” by Barbara Steisand and Neil Diamond
4. “My Life” by Billy Joel
5. “I Love the Nightlife (Disco ‘Round)” by Alicia Bridges
6. “I Just Want to Stop” by Gino Vannelli
7. “Sharing the Night Together” by Dr. Hook
8. “Y.M.C.A” by The Village People
9. “(Our Love) Don’t Throw it All Away” by Andy Gibb
10. “Hold the Line” by Toto
Spotify’s most streamed tracks: April 8-15, 2013 (latest data available)
1. “Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons
2. “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Ray Dalton
3. “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz
4. “Mirrors” by Justin Timberlake
5. “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars
6. “Suit & Tie” by Justin Timberlake feat. Jay-Z
7. “Just Give Me a Reason” by P!nk
8. “Love Me” by Lil Wayne
9.”Ho Hey” by The Lumineers
10. “Started from the Bottom” by Drake
Marketplace is on a mission.
We believe Main Street matters as much as Wall Street, economic news is made relevant and real through human stories, and a touch of humor helps enliven topics you might typically find…well, dull.
Through the signature style that only Marketplace can deliver, we’re on a mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country—but we don’t do it alone. We count on listeners and readers like you to keep this public service free and accessible to all. Will you become a partner in our mission today?