Do you know what state has the highest level of home ownership? What about the state with the most dedicated dental patients? We’ll there’s a book for that.
Marketplace Morning Report host Steve Chiotakis spoke with Cynthia Enloe, co-author of the new book, The Real State of America Atlas, which uses the atlas format to re-map the way we think about the American economy, state by state.
- West Virginia has the highest percentage of home ownership in the country.
- California has more mosques than any other state.
- Every president since the early 1800s has sworn the oath of office on a bible — except Franklin Pierce.
- Texas and Russia have roughly the same GDP.
- 18,857 corporations claim to be housed at a single address in the Cayman Islands.
- Alaska has the highest percentage of veterans at 14 percent of the population.
- Connecticut has the highest percentage of people who have been to the dentist in the last year.
- High fructose corn syrup consumption went up 10,673 percent from 1970 to 2005.
- The average American has 3.5 credit cards.
- Thirty-seven percent of Peace Corps volunteers serve in Africa.
To get more information, listen to an interview with Enloe and see two maps excerpted from the book, check out our Big Book blog. And to explore our own effort at deconstruct America through data, visit the Marketplace Maps section of our website. Plus, listen to our interview with author Cynthia Enloe.
If you’re a member of your local public radio station, we thank you — because your support helps those stations keep programs like Marketplace on the air. But for Marketplace to continue to grow, we need additional investment from those who care most about what we do: superfans like you.
Your donation — as little as $5 — helps us create more content that matters to you and your community, and to reach more people where they are – whether that’s radio, podcasts or online.
When you contribute directly to Marketplace, you become a partner in that mission: someone who understands that when we all get smarter, everybody wins.