Find the latest episode of "This Is Uncomfortable" here. Listen
Ask Money


Chris Farrell Jul 30, 2010

Question: My wife is a teacher and has a 403b. We also have a Roth IRA set up for her as well. My accountant says that she can only have the 403b plan. I had my financial advisor look into it, he said she can have both as long as we don’t make over $169,000. Can you shed some light on the subject at hand. Thank you for your time. Jeff, Goleta, CA

Answer: Your financial advisor is right: She can contribute to a Roth (in addition to her 403(b)) so long as your household comes under the Roth income limits.

For married couples filing jointly for calendar year 2010, the full contribution to a Roth starts phasing out when adjusted income reaches $167,000. You can’t contribute at all with a combined income of $177,000 or more. (For single filers, the comparable figures are $105,000 to $120,000.)

The contribution limits for 2010 are $5,000 for those 49 years old and under. It’s $6,000 if you’re age 50 or more.

Marketplace is on a mission.

We believe Main Street matters as much as Wall Street, economic news is made relevant and real through human stories, and a touch of humor helps enliven topics you might typically find…well, dull.

Through the signature style that only Marketplace can deliver, we’re on a mission to raise the economic intelligence of the country—but we don’t do it alone. We count on listeners and readers like you to keep this public service free and accessible to all. Will you become a partner in our mission today?

Your donation is critical to the future of public service journalism. Support our work today – for as little as $5 – and help us keep making people smarter.