Ask Money

Parent PLUS loans

Chris Farrell Jul 1, 2009

Question: I took out a Parent Plus loan with Sallie Mae when my son started school. He’s finished now. Can I get the loan changed to his name? Thanks. Mary, Breese, IL

Answer: No, Parent PLUS loans are the financial responsibility of the parents, not the student. You could ask your son to make the payments for you on the PLUS loan. But if he misses payments and falls behind you are still responsible.

We’re here to help you navigate this changed world and economy.

Our mission at Marketplace is to raise the economic intelligence of the country. It’s a tough task, but it’s never been more important.

In the past year, we’ve seen record unemployment, stimulus bills, and reddit users influencing the stock market. Marketplace helps you understand it all, will fact-based, approachable, and unbiased reporting.

Generous support from listeners and readers is what powers our nonprofit news—and your donation today will help provide this essential service. For just $5/month, you can sustain independent journalism that keeps you and thousands of others informed.