🚗 🚙 Turn your trusty old car into trustworthy journalism Learn more

The Paper Trail

Marketplace Staff Sep 9, 2005

You should have these documents (or copies) in a fireproof safe at all times, and with you in case of an emergency:

Drivers license

Copies of credit cards — front and back

Health insurance card

Property deeds and titles

Basic info about employee benefits

Auto and homeowners insurance

Life and umbrella liability insurance



Powers of attorney and other estate documents

Copies of last three state and federal tax returns

Children’s adoption papers

Marriage and birth certificates


Military discharge papers

Also, take the time to do a household inventory. Go room by room with a video recorder and document your belonging.

There’s a lot happening in the world.  Through it all, Marketplace is here for you. 

You rely on Marketplace to break down the world’s events and tell you how it affects you in a fact-based, approachable way. We rely on your financial support to keep making that possible. 

Your donation today powers the independent journalism that you rely on. For just $5/month, you can help sustain Marketplace so we can keep reporting on the things that matter to you.