Pick up after your pet
When pet waste gets left behind it washes into storm drains and into local waterways that effects water supplies. These leftovers can spread harmful diseases, especially to children, through many types of bacteria and parasites. These diseases can be contracted directly by stepping on or ingesting pet waste. However, once in water, you can get these diseases indirectly, through contact with that water.
Pet waste contains numerous pathogens that can cause intestinal infections, dehydration, fever, cramps, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. In fact, one day's waste from a dog can contain up to 7.8 billion fecal coliform bacteria, known to cause many bacterial diseases in humans. Dogs carrying parasites can also pass them on through eggs and larvae in fecal matter.
Direct or indirect contact via feces-contaminate water makes disease such as Hookworm, Roundworm, and Tapeworm not only possible, but also common. For more information visit Surfrider.org/