Place your Marketplace prop bets
Members of the San Francisco 49ers answers questions from the media during Super Bowl XLVII Media Day.
According to some estimates, $10 billion is gambled on the Super Bowl each year. And forget the simple bet of whether the San Francisco 49ers or the Baltimore Ravens will win -- and by how much. Frequent gamblers bet on far more obscure things, including events that take place off the field.
Theses proposition, or prop, bets, allow people to place a wager on things like how Beyonce will style her hair during the halftime show or how long the national anthem will last.
We decided to get in on the prop bets game, minus the money. We've drawn up seven bets that we're asking people to make: five are based on Friday's Marketplace show, and two will be from the Super Bowl itself.
Here are the answers:
- How many times will Kai Ryssdal say Marketplace during Friday's show? 9
- For the numbers, which will it be: "We're In The Money" (the happy music); "Stormy Weather" (the sad music); or "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" (the mixed markets music)? "We're In The Money"
- Which Weekly Wrap guest will get the last word in before the segment ends: Fortune Magazine's Leigh Gallagher or Reuters correspondent Felix Salmon? Felix Salmon
- How many segments, including reporter stories, interviews and Kai's final note, will be in the show? (Over/under 8) 7
- How many reporters from our New York bureau will be in the show? 2
- Will Jay-Z come out and perform during Beyonce’s halftime show at the Super Bowl? No
- How many total field goals will be kicked during the Super Bowl? 5
Thanks everyone for participating!