The sound of a reported $3.2 billion is music to Dr. Dre's ears, and not just because his company, Beats Electronics, deals in high-end headphones and sound equipment. If it happens, it would also make him the richest mogul on the Forbes' list of hip hop's wealthiest artists, surpassing Puff Daddy by $100 million.
Though, Forbes' Zack O'Malley Greenburg points out that while the rappers and producers on the list are very wealthy, none are actually billionaires. The rumored sale of his company to Apple would then bring Dre's net worth up to $880 million.
Here's a look at some of the wealthiest people in hip hop if the Beats buyout were to happen (with accompanying lyrics):
1. Dr. Dre - Net Worth: $880 Million (projected)
"You gotta get it - get it. Get it playa. Count all the cash up. You gotta get it, get it, get it."
- Dr. Dre, "Get Your Money Right"
2. Puff Daddy - Net Worth: $700 million
"Still got cash to blow, raps that flow. Still them cats that know, pack ya flow. That's fo' sho'"
- Puff Daddy, “Bad Boy For Life”
3. Jay-Z - Net Worth: $520 million
"We push the hottest V's, peel fast through the city. Play Monopoly with real cash"
-Notorious B.I.G. featuring Jay-Z, “I Love the Dough”
4. Bryan “Birdman” Williams - Net Worth: $300 million
"Vroom on a Yamaha chromed out 11 hundred. What I'm doin'? Gettin' money. What we doin'? Gettin' money."
- Bryan "Birdman" Williams, Stuntin' Like My Daddy
5. 50 Cent - Net Worth: $100 million
"Startin to feel like there's nothin left to talk about but the, money, money."
-50 Cent, “Money”